Thursday, April 3, 2014

Up til now

Royce (my husband) and I have been talking about building a tiny house on wheels for over a year. At first we couldn't decide whether we wanted to spend our money on a trip to the UK to walk the Coast to Coast trail or on a tiny house. A couple months ago we decided to build the house and to do by the time our lease is up in the middle of September. I've been oogling pictures of tiny houses for a long time so I had lots of ideas about what I might want my house to look like. About a year ago I started reading books about drafting and architecture. I started practicing drawing and designing houses of various sizes and materials. I discovered Google SketchUp in January and spent a couple of days developing houses on it. (SO FUN!) Ultimately I decided that this is the design I like the best:
Luckily for me, Royce is perfectly happy to let me steer on designing at this stage. Then we decided on a budget for our house, $10,000. This is for everything including the photovoltaic system. We plan to be completely off the grid. I'm fortunate to know several handy people including my dad who builds custom full scribe log cabins in Alaska. I've been reading his books and picking his brain, asking him questions, and solving problems for the last couple months. I'll go into some of these in detail later. Where we are now: I'm looking to have a trailer by May. I'm collecting building materials for free from craigslist. Considering that we have less than 6 months for finish it and move in, I'm eager to get started!

2 comments: