Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Floor

After sealing the floor of the trailer with aluminum sheeting we were ready to build the floor. We used rigid foam insulation set into the trailer frame. The insulation is two feet wide and it almost fit right into the channels. One of the channels was wide enough to pound it in after I cut of the 1/4 inch tongue on one side of the insulation with a razor blade. The other two channels require some skill-saw trimming. We used more silicone caulking in the places were the insulation was not tight to the frame to prevent airflow around the foam. Airflow around rigid foam sort of ruins its insulation value.

Next we laid some 6 mil plastic over the insulation to provide a vapor barrier from the house. Over the vapor barrier we installed 5/8" tongue and groove plywood sub-floor. We used the skill-saw to cut it to fit the width as well as fit around the wheel wells. 
My brother likes to photograph me while I'm eating.


Go floor!! We used more self tapping screws to attache the plywood directly to the frame of the trailer. We actually drilled holes first since we kept breaking screws and bits. I couldn't decide under pressure what I wanted to do about the floor so we just left the sub-floor as it is here and I will add the finish floor in later. 

2 comments:

  1. You guys are the fastest builders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts Chapewerken

    ReplyDelete